Leadership and Communication for Project Managers
Leadership and Communication for Project Managers is a highly experiential course which will provide participants with a solid foundation in key leadership competencies. Participants will learn how to master important skills that will enable them to get the most out of the most valuable project management resource, people!
Working with the other participants and with an experienced instructor/facilitator, participants will engage in revealing case studies, lively discussions and practical exercises.
Participants attending the programme will:
- Understand the dynamic process of team formation and development
- Lead project teams through more effective communication
- Identify their brain’s thought processing system to improve productivity and cooperation
- Understand the predictable stages of change and identify the appropriate leadership strategies for them
- Identify and employ negotiation processes and strategies
Who Should Attend?
Project managers, team leaders, engineers and other professionals who need to enhance their leadership skills will find Leadership and Communication for Project Managers to be a valuable learning vehicle.
This programme will be of especial interest to:
- Programme managers
- Project managers
- Project team members
- Members of Process Improvement Teams
- Administrators responsible for managing projects
- Technical professionals and engineers moving into project leadership roles
Participants will complete a variety of self-assessment instruments to help them discover their leadership, management and communication competencies.
Project management leadership skills and competencies through facilitated exercises and case studies, including: setting direction, aligning people, motivating and inspiring staff, leading teams, building relationships, communicating, negotiating, and leading change.
This program deals with the important “soft” skills needed by project managers to lead and manage projects. These are concerned with the human issues, which are all too often overlooked by project managers.
The goal of this programme is to help project managers to develop these important people skills, so they can lead their project teams to higher levels of performance.
- Leadership and Management
- What is leadership?
- The difference between managing and leading
- Articulating vision
- Establishing direction, aligning people
- Motivating your team
- Leadership styles
- Leading Effective Teams
- What makes a group a team?
- Stages of team development
- Leading effective teams
- Evaluating team progress
- Relating to Others
- Why individuals all think differently
- Identifying your brain processing patterns using the Colored Brain Communication Inventory (CBCI®)
- Understanding the differences helps you to manage and lead teams more effectively
- Directing and Supervising Work
- Directing teams
- Supervising staff
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Gathering and organizing data
- Analyzing the situation
- Determining a course of action
- The need for communication
- Understanding communication theory
- Types of communication
- Developing effective communications
- Conflict and Negotiation
- Sources of conflict on projects
- Modes of handling conflicts
- The project manager’s power bases
- Negotiation skills and strategies
- What is change?
- The project manager’s role in change
- Stages of adjusting to change
- Leadership strategies for dealing with the stages