Brainstorming a Story: Let’s Compose a Story Together
This workshop introduces educators and caregivers to a fun and dynamic, but yet structured, approach of transforming the story writing experience into an interactive group activity. In this approach, children working together with one another and guided by the teacher’s posing of questions, “brainstorm” the content of diverse components that will go into the making of a story. Additional ingredients such as pictures and props can be incorporated to stimulate inspiration and imagination.
Who Should Attend?
Parents, Caregivers, Teachers and Teaching Assistants.
- Introduce participants to a dynamic approach in exposing learners to a group-oriented writing experience.
- Inspire participants to take into account diverse tools and materials that can be used to cultivate critical thinking skills of learners.
- Enable participants to apply what they have learnt to create an engaging writing experience for their learners.
Lecture (with slideshow), Small and Large-Group Discussions, Activity and Q & A.
PowerPoint Slideshow and Handouts.
Duration: 3 hours
- Introduction to Writing as a dynamic and group-oriented experience: Writing Brainstorm.
- Facilitation techniques: Posing appropriate questions to organise and structure the story.
- Use of diverse visual and tactile materials, as well as kinesthetic activities, for inspiration.
- Practise the Writing Brainstorm in small groups.